Monday 9 April 2012

Breakfast effins





To keep on the muffin theme for one more post, this is a brilliant breakfast (or light lunch) idea. Easy to take with you, eat on the go or (as I do) while reading the emails at work in the morning. Also, these muffins (or egg muffins aka effins...) are more along the lines of what I usually eat, compared to the previous three posts. I prefer to use fresh, free range, organic eggs. You can already see from the colour of the eggs they are different from the non-organic ones. Also, I think the organic ones make a more fluffy omelette, and taste better. But I'm not sure that observation would withstand a double blinded, placebo controlled study. But it won't stop me from buying organic.


Also, there are endless variations you could make of these. Next, I think I will try a Mexeffin, with onion, tomato salsa, black beans and koriander, or maybe a Italieffin with sundried tomatoes, oregano and parma ham.


Makes 12 effins


6 eggs
1 onion
30 g dill
1/4 stalk of broccoli
1 leek
50 g smoked salmon


Chop onions, leek, dill and broccoli. Stir fry onion and leek quickly on a non-stick pan (or a regular pan and use some coconut or rapeseed oil). Add the finely chopped broccoli to the pan for a short while. Beat eggs with a fork, add in the dill and the stir fried veggies, mix and divide into 12 muffin moulds. Slice salmon, and add a few slices on top of each effin. Bake in 175 C for 10-15 minutes, or less if you like your eggs soft.


Each effin contains around 60 kcal (fat 2.8g, carbs 2.2g, protein 4.8g)

No comments:

Post a Comment