Sunday 3 June 2012

Bacon and brie quichegg





I might have written a word or two about my love of weekend brunches in the past. During the week, my breakfast is either a yoghurt and berry smoothie, omelette or effins. But in the weekend, I want to spoil myself a little (well, usually I spoil myself way too much). I work out  on Saturday mornings, and when I get home after that, I want to cook something really delicious and sit down, relax and enjoy my brunch while browsing the latest entries of my favourite food blogs. For these brunches I often allow myself cheats I don't have in the week, like sugar, wheat or cheese. This is one of my recent favourites, and while it's not exactly low calorie, it has everything you could ask from a perfect Saturday brunch. It's quick and easy to make, bakes while I'm having a shower, it has bacon, eggs and cheese and it tastes heavenly. The leftovers make a great lunch during the week if served with a fresh green salad. It also freezes well, and can be quickly re-heated another weekend for brunch. I have stumbled upon this recipe in several blogs, but I'm linking to recipegirl as that is where I first saw it.


As a short postscript, the recipe calls for Canadian bacon. I have absolutely no idea what that is, but let me assure you, it works well with regular (in this case British) bacon. Also, another point is that technically I object to the use of the word quiche in the name of this dish (in the original recipe), as in my humble opinion, quiche refers to something with a crust. And apparently, so does wikipedia. If you look up quiche, the first sentence begins "Quiche is a savoury, open-faced pastry crust dish...". So I decided to rename this quichegg instead. But to be honest, a quiche by any other name is still a pretty awesome breakfast, no matter what Mr Shakespeare thinks about the subject. Although when I think about it, Mr Shakespeare might not have mentioned quiches in his work. Well, shame on him for that.


Bacon and brie quichegg (serves 4-6):
8-10 rashers of bacon
8 eggs
120 ml mayonnaise
120 ml grated parmesan
125 g brie
pepper
1 tbsp Italian herb seasoning (which I didn't have so I threw in a bit of oregano and a bit of garlic and pepper mix)


The howto:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Line a pie tin with bacon (this will form the "crust" of the quichegg). Cut the brie into small cubes. Beat eggs lightly with a fork, mix in the mayo, parmesan, spices and the brie. Pour into the tin, and bake for about 30 minutes. The original recipe says to cover your quichegg with foil after 15 minutes, which I could not be bothered to do, and it turned out very well anyways. But if you feel your quichegg is turning too dark, then by all means, cover it up, I'm sure it can't hurt.






The verdict:
As I said before, this is the perfect brunch or lunch. Particularly after a night out, when you need something really decadent to get you going again. The combination of bacon and eggs is just one of those things which can never fail. Adding brie to that will make it more heavenly still. A word of warning, this is not a light food, but you could cheat yourself to think it's kind of healthy as it is low in carbs. Not low in fat or salt though... But if you are prepared to clog up those arteries, the taste of this will leave you happy the whole day. Maybe serve with some greens on the side to lighten it up a bit, it can be a bit rich on its own. I'm sure you could try different variations by swapping the cheese, maybe replacing the brie with mozzarella, a mild cheddar or maybe soft goats cheese. The bacon has such a strong flavour it might even be able to take a mild blue cheese, it would be a bit of a gamble, but it just might work if you are into blue cheeses.





No comments:

Post a Comment