Friday 8 February 2013

Oven poached eggs

This is a really old post I wrote ages ago, but then never got around to posting. I'm not quite sure why it never made the cut,mad this is one of my absolute favourite egg breakfast/brunch recipes. Seeing it now, I also realise I haven't been cooking it for a long, long time. After I get back from my holiday (more about that in the next post), I will be making this for brekkie. As much as I love having bread and cheese and sweets for brekkie, my body is screaming for protein. I can't wait to get some eggs in me. And chicken and salad. I can't believe I just wrote that. But this whole paella-ice cream-churros-cheese and bread diet is quite tough to be honest. I love it tha my body is finally craving the right things.

It should have become quite obvious that I love me a good old breakfast. Proteins, fibre and at least one or two of your five a day. And this works just as well as vegetarian lunch, its quite hearty. The recipe is stolen from Epicurious, and only modified minimally.

Oven poached eggs with chickpeas (serves 2):
1tbsp oil
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
1 medium chili
piece of fresh ginger root
1 tbsp dried cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can chickpeas
chopped flatleaf parsley
chopped coriander
4 eggs
100g feta

The howto:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Chop onion, garlic, chilli and ginger root and saute in the oil. When the onion is starting to get soft, add spices and fry for another minute or so. Add tomatoes, chickpeas and herbs, and let cook for 10 minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken a bit. Transfer to a oven proof dish, make indentations in the tomato sauce, and break the eggs in them. Sprinkle feta on top, and bake in the oven until yolks are the consistency you like (about 6 minutes for runny yolks).

According to my estimate, which was dine using MyFitnessPal, one serving contains 513kcal (25g fat, 30g carbs of which 6.7g sugars, 22g protein).



The verdict:
This is one of my all time favourite egg brekkies. It combines so many things I love. Tomatoes, cumin, chickpeas, eggs and feta, all delicious. Obviously if you want to be super-healthy, you could always skip the feta, but I like the savoury touch together with the tomato. And the chickpeas, oh the chickpeas. I love the combination of chopped tomatoes and chickpeas. First you have the sweet tomatoes, and then the silky smooth chickpeas to bite into. And make sure not to over-cook your eggs, the yolk should be nice and runny so that the lovely, golden goo spreads all over the tomato and chickpea yummyness.
I should never write a blogpost when I'm hungry, this is pure torture. So I better stop, as I'm very unlikely to get food anytime soon... Sigh, one of those (many!) times when I decide being single is so much better than the alternative. At least you get food whenever you want. Can you see I have some pent up negative energy here? Well, I get very grumpy if something comes between me and my food, and if that something happens to be football, that just makes me outright furious. Well, if you don't hear back from me, I perished of hunger in a hotel room. Otherwise I'll be back soon to blog about my holiday food experiences. Expect a lot of sugar highs!

No comments:

Post a Comment