Saturday 20 July 2013

Herb roasted mushrooms

The day has finally arrived. We completed today!! After work we drove off to New Home, just to hang out for a while and have a look around in preparation for the big move tomorrow. We are going to move everything ourselves, and a large part of things are not packed. Well, to be more exact, a large part of *his* things are not packed, mine haven't been unpacked since the last move. I can't wait for tomorrow morning, I should probably go to bed immediately to make tomorrow arrive faster. Given the heat wave we are currently experiencing here in the Island Kingdom, it is bound to be a hot and sweaty day.

So this is a bit of a forced connection to link in the recipe, but soon I can make these mushrooms using herbs from my garden. I can't believe I will have my own garden. Based on how it currently looks, the previous owners must have been expert gardeners. There are all sorts of herbs, raspberries, strawberries, apples, pears, plums, cherries, rhubarb and so many other things. Oh, and asparagus, I am so excited about the asparagus. And then there is the greenhouse. Tomatoes, courgette and grapes. Yes, really. Grapes! How incredible is that! For now I'm just enjoying the thought of endless mojitos using the abundantly growing mint in my garden, and ignoring the thought of how much work it will be to keep a garden looking as immaculate as it is right now. Hopefully it will be mostly fun, and hopefully I will be able to keep most of it alive. I just can't believe how much tomatoes there are in the greenhouse, I think there will be an abundance of tomato recipes on the blog very soon. Before getting to the recipe, please excuse the following photos, but I'm so incredibly excited there is no way of stopping me.

Does anyone have any good pear recipes?
I had no idea one tomato plant will make so many tomatoes!
Who knew you could grow your own grapes? I mean obviously I
realised someone can grow them somehow, but just having them
around in your greenhouse. Who knew. And I think it's rather obvious
 I'm not a very experienced gardener.
Hoping the birds will leave a few cherries for us.
My own raspberries! At least something I shouldn't
be able to kill off.
 
Baby apples, hopefully they will grow big and strong really soon.
Getting to know the neighbours.
This recipe is from a blog called Italian food forever. I think I originally found them it Pinterest. They looked really tasty and I also like the fact that they were good both warm and cold, so I could use the leftovers from the weekend in my lunch salads during the week.

Herb roasted mushrooms (serves about 4 as a side):
400 g mushrooms (I used a mix or Forestiere, shitake and button mushrooms)
1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
2 cloves of garlic (I used my beloved smoked garlic)
herbs (the original recipe suggests 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, 1 tsp chopped fresh sage and 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley. I used a handful of flatleaf parsley and a handful of lemon thyme, as that was what I had at hand)
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar

The howto:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees C/400 degrees F/gas mark 6. Wipe the mushrooms with a cloth or wash them. I like to peel off the skin for larger mushrooms or if they feel a bit sweaty after being wrapped up in plastic containers. Chop to bite sized pieces. Mix olive oil, finely chopped garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. On an oven tray, mix the mushrooms with the oil and herb mix, making sure to coat the mushrooms well. Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until cooked, depending on the size you chopped the mushrooms. When mushrooms are done, drizzle with balsamic.

The verdict:
This is a nice way of cooking mushrooms, usually I just pan fry them, but this was much easier. And you can adapt it using any of your favourite herbs. I did take some of them with me for lunch the following day, and they were nice both warm and cold. And I bet they will taste even better with herbs from my own garden. Soon, very soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hienot bonukset talokaupalle! Ja mieluinen naapurikin!ONNEA KODILLE JA TEILLE MOLEMMILLE!

    ReplyDelete